Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wine & Spirits Quest: good on ya Aussies

Hurray! We’ve finally found a worthy wine in my Quest! I decided to try Australia today, a country that, while I personally love it, it can be a bit clouded by oak. Today, I noticed the unoaked chardonnay and had to try it. Thank goodness I did!

The Preston Vale Chardonnay from Western Australia is a lovely version of a crisp Chardonnay. Many American Chardonnay lovers (and haters) think of the super oaky, buttery, toasty Chardonnay. While I like some oak, I don’t want it to overwhelm the natural flavors of the grape. The Preston Lane does a lovely job of highlighting this.

While this is a very very pale straw, or, as my friend said, “It looks like flat ginger ale,” this is just a good reflection of the lack of oaking. The nose is of lemon, lime zest and ripe cantaloupe. The mouth is light, nicely balanced with refreshing but not overwhelming acidity. It tastes of the citruses and a little cantaloupe and green apple. A nice tasting, balanced wine. Thank you Australia and… finally a thanks to the PLCB.

Preston Vale Unwooded Chardonnay, 2008

Price: $9.99

Alcohol: 13%

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment