Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Wine of the Week

Cabernet Sauvignon

As promised, I have an interesting wine to analyze from the past weekend.  I tried to “think outside the box”- here’s what I came up with…

So I was strolling through the mall after completing a graduate research assignment when I stumbled upon the Elk Creek Vineyard store.  Given my affinity for wine, I had to stop in for a glance.

After a couple taste tests, I decided on their Cabernet Sauvignon labelled Bone Dry Red.  Haven’t heard of it?  Well, if you live outside the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area, that’s no surprise. The vineyard is located in Owenton, Kentucky about 45 minutes from Cincinnati.  While certainly not the metropolis of fine wines, I was impressed with the complexity of this wine.  Price point:  $19.99.  Wine rating: 8.5-9. 

I served this wine with steak marinated in Dale’sseasoning, french bread with olive oil/basil/parmesan cheese, and a caesar salad.  An excellent pairing for this bold wine.

The days are getter shorter, the leaves are turning color, and the nights are getting noticeably cooler.  This means the traditional shift from white wines to red.  You’re bound to see more write-ups on hearty reds in the months ahead.

Wine tip: In order to bring out more fruit flavors in red wine, chill the wine for 25-30 minutes prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment