Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wine & Spirits Quest: Days like this, I'll even drink this wine...

Work is totally kicking my butt. I don’t know how I have time to breathe, let alone sleep and drink new wine and beer. So, I decided to try and do work and drink wine all at the same time!

I should have known, however, that it wasn’t going to be the lovely experience I was hoping for when I first saw this:

I have previously just ignored whatever hangs on wine bottles as random accoutrement the marketer deems necessary. Now I know they are a good indicator of things that will annoy me. Like that sign.

I may actually get through the entire offering of rosés by the Wine and Spirits store by my house in the next month. I think there are two left under $20. So, I decided to pick up a bottle of the well distributed, often found in grocery stores (outside of PA, of course) Clos Du Bois and see how they do their rosé. Usually people will overly chill their rosés and white wines which does a good job of covering up any defects a wine may have. While I cannot do that to give a good tasting post, I badly wish I had.

The color was a  deep rose pink fading to salmon and then nothing on the edges. When the nose opened up, it smelled of green and pink apples, orange peel, strawberries and orange blossom. The mouth, however, lacked almost any refined characteristics. Disjointed, hot throughout my mouth, it hinted at green apples, rubbing alcohol and left a slight watermelon taste. My lovely roomie said she could “taste the sensation of it,” like a tanginess, but no actual flavors. Also, she commented that it had a “wine in the box vibe.” One that you would use as a mixer, but wouldn’t want to pay bottle prices for, just box prices. Consensus? Don’t waste your money.

Clos du Bois Dry Rose, 2007

Price: $7.99

Alcohol: 13%

Rating: C-

[Via http://thirstygirlswhiskeyrebellion.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment