Saturday, September 5, 2009

On the Ice

In the spirit of opening dessert wines while we visit, my dad pulled out a bottle of Ice Wine from Niagra, Canada. Now, dad had never heard of Ice Wine until a couple years ago when we went to Farrah Olivia for dinner and I ordered a glass with my cheese course. Since then, he picks up new bottles whenever he sees them at the store.  Tonight he opened the 2002 Trius Vidal Ice Wine.  It had a real cork closure, clocked in at 12% alcohol by volume, and retails for around $40 for a 375mL bottle.

I first noted the dark color of the wine in the glass. 7 years out and it looked well aged.  On the nose I found honey ,apricot, white flowers, nectarine, and orange blossom.  In the mouth, more apricot, honey, stone fruits, orange, and other citrus. It had great acidity and was very smooth.  Even my mom, an total non wino, loved this one!

[Via http://wannabewino.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment