Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Food and Sun in Charleston

I’ve just returned from five days in Charleston, SC, where spent my time soaking up the sun and heat (59 degrees back in Boston tonight, yikes!) and eating delicious food. Our first evening, we dined at Slightly North of Broad, also known as S.N.O.B. on East Bay Street.

To start was a light salad with grilled peaches, goat cheese, and bacon. The sweetness of the peach nicely complemented the salty bacon.

Grilled peach salad

For a main was their famous BBQ Tuna with fried oysters – this was delicious as well, though I probably should have ordered the tuna rare instead of medium rare. The oysters were a nice complement to the tuna.

Tuna steak at SNOB

Lastly was a banana creme pie – the graham cracker crust was thick and buttery and the dish was glazed with a rum caramel sauce.

Banana creme pie

All was accompanied by a nice Argentinian red:

And ample amounts of cornbread:

Happy after a delicious dinner:

We stayed at the Vendue Inn, near waterfront park. Highlights of the hotel were the made-to-order breakfast every morning, free bikes for guests to use, the manager’s wine and cheese reception daily (does anyone have a good recipe for Pimento cheese? I can’t believe I’d never had it before, delish!), and the hotel’s own rooftop bar. I’ll be reviewing on Tripadvisor!

I’ll post a recap soon of my other favorite dinner in Charleston – which included possibly my new favorite dish ever, shrimp and grits.

I’ve heard this restaurant in Boston does some southern style food – has anyone been?

No comments:

Post a Comment