Friday, September 11, 2009

Wine: It's a living thing

     Tonight, as I savor a manuscript done, I’m thinking about that scene in the movie “Sideways,” when Maya tells Miles why she loves wine so much:

“I like to think about the life of wine, how it’s a living thing. I like to think about what was going on the years the grapes were growing, how the sun was shining, if it rained. I like to think about all the people who tended and picked the grapes. And, if it’s an old wine, how many of them must be dead by now….”

     That really struck a chord with me, one that reverberates now after a year of studying what goes into the production of wine, especially all the challenges of weather, soil, disease, birds, insects, chemistry, etc.

     I admire the courage of Finger Lakes winemakers, and those around the world. I also admire how they marry viticulture & chemistry into potable art. Sláinte (Irish for cheers!).

[Via http://giftoffate.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment