Friday, December 11, 2009

Wine is fine: La Playa Sauvignon Blanc 2009

I thought drinking a wine called “The Beach” might make me forget that it is currently 6 degrees outside and there is a foot and a half of snow on the ground.  I was wrong.  Mostly.  I won’t let my cabin fever sully my enjoyment of a damn fine wine, however.  This is one of our best sellers both in the bottle and by-the-glass at Barriques, and for good reason – its crisp fruitiness transports you to the beaches of Chile.  Not really.  Not even close, actually.  What I’m trying to say is this is good stuff.  And less than 10 bucks.

Wine: La Playa Sauvignon Blanc 2009

Vitals: Composition: 100% Sauvignon Blanc; Colchagua Valley, Chile; 13% abv; Age of Vines: 17 yrs; Total acidity: 6.83 g/l; Residual sugar: 4.2 g/l, (love the thorough stats on their website – there’s lots more that I have no idea how to interpret)

Company line: “A consistent favorite with the critics, this pale yellowgreen wine has a bright and floral nose, with aromas of blossoms, lime and honeydew. On the palate, it is fresh, well-structured and shows a lively acidity, with crisp lemon-lime zest, citrus candies and a note of fresh grass. -laplayawine.com“

My take: pale yellow(green, I guess) in the glass, a vibrant lemongrass, crisp green bell pepper and tropical citrus nose belies bright acidity, lime zest and aromatic flowers on the palate.  Fruitiness masks its dry mouthfeel which is amplified by a hearty alcoholic presence.  This wine was made for summer and barbeques, but is a refreshing treat any time of the year.  Even when you want to trick yourself into thinking it’s July when it’s really December.

[Via http://43north89west.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment